Quote of the Day

All knowledge is worth having. -Jacqueline Carey

Sunday, September 19, 2010

How I work...

My work process is sort of all over the place and very dependent on my mood. Sometimes I start by creating sketches or taking photographic references and going from there, but most days,  I take out all of the materials I have to work with and wait to feel inspired.  In the case of waiting to be inspired, I tend to look at all of the materials I have at home and imagine as many different possibilities as I can in both media and design.  If nothing speaks to me then I tend to run to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and wander around for an hour or two and see what is there that I don't have and might use. This method is time-consuming and generally runs a bit more expensive, but I find that I create so many things I wouldn't have even considered without the trip. These trips also giveway to my more experimental side in terms of media.

In a case where I haven't yet decided on the final subject,  I look to books for inspiration. I'm an avid reader... imaginative stories and characters seem to capture my interest more often than not. In this mode I tend to consider the characters and the big ideas and create something metaphorical to those inspirations.


My most recent book inspiration:

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to you on waiting to be inspired by something. I will search artwork online, go to Michael's, or the antique store until something sparks my attention and imagination. I can't work on a piece of art that I am not interested in, so I have to wait until I think of something I'm passionate or excited about.

    I was going to say that you should create some artwork based on the books you are reading because we all know you love to read. You could illustrate a conflict, romance, or something that angered or made you ask questions while reading.

    ReplyDelete