Quote of the Day

All knowledge is worth having. -Jacqueline Carey

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Panel Reflection

I thought last weeks panel was immensely helpful in letting us know what to expect in the first year. The panel not only let us know what to expect in the first year but what to expect in the job search as well. I should have expected that experiences would vary so much but to be honest, I was really surprised that each of the panel took such different routes to where they are today. I know that the job market is suffering at this time, but maybe it hadn’t quite hit home to me that it would be so hard to get a full-time position in Kansas City. Manabu having lost his position due to layoffs is really depressing as NKC would probably have been one of the districts I would apply to…. and my top districts have got to be much more competitive.

Actually, now that I think about it, I’m completely afraid of the job situation. After hearing today at my field about the situation at CPS, I feel not only afraid that I won’t find a job but afraid that I’m going to go into an employment situation that will be far less than ideal. I can’t believe that CPS is talking about laying off so many teachers next year and then asking the RB and Hickman teachers to take on an extra class without pay. They do so much all ready and are working 60-65 hr weeks for a 40 hr a week paycheck. If they have to add an extra class that’ll bump them up to 75-80 hrs a week with 40 hr a week pay and I have a feeling that the impact on the clubs and extracurricular activities for students will be great! It will be interesting to see how this all pans out, but to be completely honest this situation terrifies me and I’m praying that its not one that I go into in my first year.

One thing the panel mentioned that I had not even considered yet was ordering supplies. That is most definitely one of the things that has been pushed to the back of my mind and I have to wonder how you go about ordering or knowing how much of everything to order. I suppose this is where mentor teachers could step in and help us newbies. I’m also wondering if I even have the money to put into the classroom out of pocket that Thomas was talking about. I guess it all accumulates overtime but at the moment I’m way too poor to buy my own art supplies let alone a buildings! I really really hope I’m one of those lucky individuals that gets a room that hasn’t been cleaned out. That way I can get free/extra supplies and (hopefully great) lesson ideas.

Wow, I seem like such a worrier now, but I suppose I am! The panel really brought it home as to what the first year is really like and how competitive the job market is. But they also were reassuring in the fact that they LOVE what they are doing and are happy with themselves and their choice to be art teachers at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment